|Palestinian Centre for Human Rights Gaza|
1 July 2007
On Saturday, 30 June 2007, Israeli Occupation Forces (IOF) killed 7 Palestinian civilians, including a man and his son, and wounded 10 others, including 2 children, in 2 air strikes against Khan Yunis town in the southern Gaza Strip and al-Maghazi refugee camp in the central Gaza Strip. Three of the victims, who are members of the al-Quds Brigades (the armed wing of Islamic Jihad, were extra-judicially executed by IOF. In the two air strikes, IOF disregarded the principles of necessity and proportionality in employing their arsenal in civilian populated areas, which threatened the lives of Palestinian civilians.
According to investigations conducted by PCHR:
At approximately 17:00 on Saturday, 30 June 2007, IOF warplanes fired 2 missiles at a civilian car, in which 3 persons were traveling, in al-Sikka Street in the east of Khan Yunis. The car was destroyed the three persons were killed. Additionally, 7 civilian bystanders, including 2 children, were wounded. Nearly 2 hours later, the victims in the car were identified as members of the al-Quds Brigades (the armed wing of Islamic Jihad):
1) Ziad Shaker Diab Ghannam, 42;
2) Ra’ed Fu’ad Ghannam, 21; and
3) Mohammed Anwar al-Ra’ei, 24.
At approximately 20:00 also on Saturday, an IOF warplane fired a missile at a workshop, belonging to Salah ‘Abdul Hafez Quffah, 36, in al-Maghazi refugee camp in the central Gaza Strip. Quffah, his son Eyad, 24, and his friend Sameer ‘Ali Abu Msallam, 46, were killed. Three workers in the workshop were also wounded, and one of them, 22-year-old ‘Ali Ahmed al-‘Aaidi, died later. At approximately 23:00, an IOF warplane attacked the workshop again, completely destroying it. As a result, 6 neighboring houses were heavily damaged, including the house of Shareef Abu Nassar, a PCHR lawyer, who was also wounded by shrapnel to the right hand. In addition, a company, a factory and the building of the Municipality of al-Maghazi were damaged.
PCHR strongly condemns these latest crimes committed by IOF, and:
1) Asserts that these latest crimes are part of a series of continuous crimes committed by IOF in the Occupied Palestinian Territory in disregard for the lives of Palestinian civilians, considering them a form of collective punishment against the Palestinian civilian population in violation of article 33 of the Geneva Convention Relative to the Protection of Civilian Persons in Time of War of 1949.
2) Reiterates condemnation for the policy of extra-judicial executions adopted by IOF against Palestinian activists, and asserts that this policy serves to increase tension in the region and threatens the lives of Palestinian civilians.
3) Calls upon the international community to immediately intervene to stop such crimes, and calls upon the High Contracting Parties to the Geneva Convention Relative to the Protection of Civilian Persons in Time of War to fulfill their obligation under article 1 of the Convention to ensure respect for the Convention in all circumstances, and their obligation under article 146 to search for and prosecute those who are responsible for perpetrating grave breaches of the Convention, as such breaches constitute war crimes according to article 147 of the Convention and the Protocol Additional to the Geneva Conventions of 12 August 1949, and Relating to the Protection of Victims of International Armed Conflicts (Protocol I).
For more information please call PCHR office in Gaza, Gaza Strip, on +972 8 2824776 - 2825893
PCHR, 29 Omer El Mukhtar St., El Remal, PO Box 1328 Gaza, Gaza Strip. E-mail: email@example.com, Webpage http://www.pchrgaza.org